CAREERS AT WAVES
At WAVES we understand that the team that make up the working family, is as important as the amazing care provided to our clients pets.
Western Australian Veterinary Emergency and Specialty (WAVES) are an emergency, critical care and specialty veterinary hospital that opened in Success, WA in May 2013. From time to time, vacancies may become available, and will be advertised in various locations. If you read an advertisement and feel the role is right for you, then please follow the application instructions listed in each advertisement, as they may vary.
WAVES takes recruitment very seriously, and we like to ensure that the role is right for the person, as well as the person right for the role. Many of our team have been with us since we opened in 2013.
New vacancies available from 15.1.2020
FULL TIME – SURGERY NURSE – Specialist Surgical Team (posted 15.01.2020)
A rare opportunity awaits.
Western Australian Veterinary Emergency and Specialty (WAVES) are an emergency, critical care and specialty veterinary hospital that opened in Success, WA in May 2013. In the past 18 months, the hospital has undergone major expansions so we currently need another Full Time Surgical Veterinary Nurse to join our Surgery Department team!
Every day here is challenging, you never know what you are going to see next.
At WAVES you’ll get more responsibility and be able to influence what happens with the patients. You’ll learn so much and there is always more to learn. You get to do fun stuff like scrubbing into major surgical procedures, anaesthesia monitoring for surgery, x-rays and CT imaging, placing catheters and get to know all sorts of instrumentation.
You’ll be providing patients with the highest standards of care and feel confident that you are doing the best for people’s pets.
WAVES is committed to finding the right team to staff our hospital over the long term. We are looking for energetic, enthusiastic and dedicated nurses who understand that veterinary nursing isn’t a 9-5 job, are genuinely interested in surgical veterinary procedures and are willing to consistently provide quality patient care in a sometimes hectic environment. You need to have a Certificate IV in veterinary nursing or equivalent and must have at least 2 years of experience in general practice. Previous experience in a referral hospital would be a big advantage however your approach is the most important thing to us. You will get training, continuing education and workplace support if you have the right attitude, but only lack the experience.
Please only apply if you are flexible within your working hours and you have a real passion for surgery.
Your work will include preparing patients for surgery including blood-taking, catheter placement, clip and prep of surgical site, anaesthetic monitoring or scrubbing in, care of patients whilst in hospital and liaising with their owners, instrument cleaning and sterilization.
You must be able to work efficiently within our team environment supporting our surgeons and all our team members.
You’ll be working with surgeons as a team to help the patients through their procedures and facilitate the highest standard of patient care until they are discharged home.
You will need to encourage and support all staff in the team, especially junior or less experienced members whether they are nurses or vets. You will need to spot things that require doing and get on with them without being asked. To make sure the hospital keeps running smoothly, you will need to keep the hospital clean, walk dogs to let them stretch their legs and have a sniff, stock shelves, keep the laundry moving and cuddle patients as required. If you have time, you can have a coffee too.
In return for your hard work and dedication, WAVES will:
· Give you the training you need
· Encourage and support your further education over the years
· Provide a healthy and happy workplace for you and everyone else
· Deal with any negative workplace behaviour in any form to make sure you enjoy working here with us
· Provide you with a challenging and satisfying career
· Provide all the equipment you require to optimally care for your patients
· Genuinely care about you as a member of the WAVES family and respect your opinion on how WAVES can be improved
Surgical veterinary nursing isn’t for everyone. To take on this job you need emotional resilience, staying power, a belief that miracles are possible (they are), and a healthy dose of pragmatism. But, the rewards can be amazing! You will love the team and get a real buzz from working with us.
We take recruitment very seriously because we know it is important to get the right people and it’s also important that you are going to like working with us. We want to build up a team of people who will stay for years, be part of the WAVES family, and grow with us.
So if you think that you may be the person we are looking for please email a cover letter and your CV attention to Cathy at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
CASUAL – HOSPITAL NURSE RECEPTIONIST (posted 15.01.2020)
WAVES is looking for a motivated, qualified nurse, to complement our growing team. This is a casual position only.
WAVES is open 24/7, however, this position is for day reception which operates between 7am and 7pm, Monday to Friday to service the referral services of Medicine, Oncology, Surgery, Dermatology and Diagnostic Imaging. You won’t be required to work on weekends, public holidays or after-hours.
You will be the first and last person to meet and speak to clients at our hospital so it is essential that you make them feel comfortable and deal with them in an efficient, professional and caring manner. You will play a vital role in the day to day operation of the hospital by ensuring that cases are booked in appropriately to see the correct specialist and that you expedite phone calls from referring veterinarians to the appropriate specialist when they require phone advice.
You must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, and be able to be flexible to adapt to whatever the day may hold. A VSBWA registerable veterinary nursing qualification and at least 2 years clinical experience is essential for this position. Previous experience in a referral or emergency hospital and with Cornerstone would be a big advantage, however, your professional approach is more important to us!
Although we are a large hospital, there is a strong focus on maintaining a positive workplace environment, with regular social functions and a really well stocked kitchen complete with coffee machine and snacks.
Your duties will include:
· Telephone management
· Processing specialist referral documentation including bookings for the vast array of services offered.
· Premium customer service whilst processing patient arrivals and departures
· Ensuring that lab results and referral letters are appropriately processed and archived; and directed to the attention of the appropriate specialty department
· Processing accounts and daily banking according to hospital policies
· Administration assistance for each of the service departments
· Cert IV Vet Nursing or equivalent qualification and current VSB WA nurse registration
· Minimum 2 years clinical nursing / reception experience
· Self-motivated when it’s quiet, confident and fast when it’s busy
· Impeccable professional presentation
· Flexible, adaptable and a positive ‘can do’ attitude
· Emotional resilience and good conflict management skills to efficiently manage distressed or difficult clients whilst being able to maintain your personal wellness
· It is essential that you are flexible to work between the hours of 7am and 7pm, Mon – Fri (being available to work until 7pm is a must)
Does this sound perfect for you?
Full induction and training is provided with a structured program and support for ongoing learning. The successful applicant must be available to work 6 x 10 hour days within a 2 week period to ensure the appropriate training is completed before being deemed competent.
Please note: this position is for reception only. Unfortunately there will be no opportunity to transfer to other positions within the hospital.
If you believe you meet the criteria to make a superstar receptionist then please forward your application letter and CV, addressed to the Administration Supervisor, Sarah O’Neill, via email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Applications close 7pm, Wednesday 22nd January 2020
CASUAL – HOSPITAL CLEANER/KENNEL HAND (posted 15.01.2020)
Looking for an amazing workplace where you can feel like you are part of the team? Are you obsessed with cleaning? Do you have experience cleaning in active work environments such as hospitals, dentists or kennels?
WAVES requires another casual cleaner/kennel hand during this busy Summer period. We are seeking a vibrant, fit and energetic person to assist with the daily cleaning requirements of the hospital.
You will need to be a meticulous cleaner, be able to strictly follow hospital protocols as well as be able to prioritise tasks and communicate effectively with your colleagues.
Hours worked are between 6am and 8pm Monday to Friday on a variable roster. There is currency vacancy for approximately 10-15 hours per week, however, you must be available anytime between 6am and 8pm, Monday to Friday, for shift lengths varying from 5hr to 10hrs long, and you must be available to work additional hours to cover sick leave and annual leave for the other cleaner/kennel hands.
The majority of the work is cleaning of the work spaces, kitchen area, bathrooms, and doing laundry. This includes vacuuming and mopping large floor areas, emptying bins, cleaning staff and client toilets, tidying dog walking grassed area, and many repetitive tasks. Animal handling is a very small component of the role.
- You will be energetic, fit, and have great attention to detail
- You will be able to follow protocols and be flexible to hospital requirements
- Moderate English both spoken and written is required
- You must also be able to perform dilution calculations for disinfectant solutions
- Due to the nature of the cases seen at the hospital, exposure to pet waste, and medical and surgical procedures is frequent, so you must be able to work effectively in those conditions
- You must also demonstrate emotional resilience and be able to maintain your mental well-being whilst engaged in this fast paced specialist veterinary hospital
- Available to work Wednesday’s and Friday’s, between the hours of 6am and 8pm, for variable shift length between 5 – 10 hours long, with availability on other days is highly desirable.
- Previous employment in a veterinary hospital or medical hospital will be viewed favourably
- Animal handling skills
PLEASE NOTE: The position is not suitable for a traineeship and this role will not ‘open doors’ for nursing or other positions in the hospital. Promotion to higher levels is not available through this vacancy.
The position is offered as level 2 as per the Animal Care and Veterinary Services Award 2010.
This role will suit a candidate who has a drivers licence and own transport, due to the variation of worked hours, and limitation of public transport to the workplace.
This vacancy is open to permanent residents and citizens only, not suitable for those on working holiday visas and the role does not meet the criteria for sponsorship.
If this position sounds like the perfect job for you and you would love to be part of our dynamic team, please send your cover letter and CV to the Administration Supervisor, Sarah, via email email@example.com