Diagnostic Imaging Service
Fluoroscopy is essentially the use of x-ray in real time with the image appearing on a monitor akin to a video of an x-ray. It is used for real time / active studies in combination with instruments or contrast dyes to highlight particular areas.
Fluoroscopy in Veterinary Imaging
Fluoroscopic studies are performed for a variety of reasons which include:
- Evaluation of pharyngeal disorders (eg swallowing abnormalities)
- Evaluation of airway dysfunction (eg tracheal and bronchial collapse, strictures)
- Evaluation of oesophageal function (eg megaoesophagus, hiatal hernia)
- Evaluation of blood vessels – Angiogram (eg vascular ring anomalies, mesenteric portography)
- Evaluation of intra-operative implant placement during orthopaedic surgery
- Placement of devices within the body (eg tracheal stenting, PDA occlusion)
Patients are generally referred via our Medicine and Surgery departments for fluoroscopic studies, as this is often a complimentary modality to other specialist procedures such as endoscopy
CONTACT OUR TEAM
Have a referral?
Have you been referred by a vet? Please complete the registration form.
Diagnostic Imaging Services
OUR DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING TEAM
Meet Our Diagnostic Imaging Team
Specialties & Services
Veterinary Referral & Emergency Services