Emergency Services Offered
WAVES Emergency Services
Specialist Emergency & Critical Care Services
WAVES is staffed with Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (ECC) Specialists, Diplomates of the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (DACVECC) and experienced emergency veterinarians. Specialists or Diplomates of the ACVECC (DACVECC) may be the primary clinician for your pet, or your pet may be under the care of an experienced veterinarian who can request assistance from the Specialist or Diplomate at any time if required in the evaluation, monitoring and treatment of your critically ill or injured pet.
Emergency & Critical Care Services
Any patient who is considered to have a significant risk of imminent death can benefit from being under the care of a Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Specialist or experienced Emergency Veterinarian.
WAVES is able to provide emergency and critical care services to support your pet in order to provide the best outcome possible. These include:
- Pain relief including continuous rate infusions, epidurals and local anaesthetic techniques
- Intravenous fluid and electrolyte therapy
- Oxygen administration, high flow oxygen therapy and mechanical ventilation
- Blood and plasma transfusions
- Critical care monitoring
- Immediate laboratory diagnostic tests not limited to the following:
- Biochemical analysis
- Haematological analysis
- Blood gas and electrolyte analysis
- Urine analysis
- Coagulation testing
- Infectious disease testing (canine parvovirus CPV antigen, feline leukaemia FeLV antibody ELISA, feline immunodeficiency virus FIV antibody ELISA)
- Urine snake venom detection
- Urine drugs of addiction screening
- Cortisol levels
- Radiography and ultrasonography
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), defibrillation, advanced post-resuscitation care and support, cardiac pacing
- Nutritional support including placement of feeding tubes and intravenous nutrition
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Emergency surgery
WAVES provides a multidisciplinary approach to patient care. If you think your pet has a problem, call WAVES on 9412 5700 for advice. Alternatively, during normal working hours, please contact your veterinarian for advice.
Have a referral?
Have you been referred by a vet? Please complete the registration form.
OUR EMERGENCY TEAM
Meet Our Emergency Team
Our team is our greatest strength. They are the people who look after and care for your ill pet, communicate good news and bad news, laugh with you and cry with you. They are the people that believe that caring for animals is not what they do, but who they are. They are the sunflowers in our world.
Specialties & Services
Veterinary Referral & Emergency Services